- Originally published as Felix Paul Greves Karriere: Frederick Philip Grove in Deutschland, this volume reveals the previously unknown life of Canadian author F.P. Grove. Prior to his arrival in Canada, Grove was a widely known-and somewhat outrageous-editor, writer, translator, and literary personality in Europe. In his new land, however, he completely remade himself, extinguishing all traces of his prior life. An illuminating biography of a significant Canadian author.
Electronic book textCAD23.99GBP23.99USD23.99CAD23.99GBP23.99USD23.99Bill 6, the government of Albertas contentious farm workers safety legislation, sparked public debate as no other legislation has done in recent years. The Enhanced Protection for Farm and Ranch Workers Act provides a right to work safely and a compensation system for those killed or injured at work, similar to other provinces.
- The collection Fashioning Modern Ukraine: Selected Writings of Mykola Kostomarov, Volodymyr Antonovych, and Mykhailo Drahomanov presents for the first time in English a number of seminal texts by three major nineteenth-century scholars and leaders of the national movement in Ukraine. The first and third sections of the book feature respectively the writings of Mykola Kostomarov and Mykhailo DrahomanoÑdescendants of the Cossack middle stratum and members of an influential... [READ MORE]
HardbackCAD49.95GBP35.99USD49.95The book Feminists Despite Themselves is the first history of the women's movement in Ukraine. The book explains how Ukrainian women, constrained by national and traditional issues, began to develop self-help organizations in their rural communities. It analyzes a vast range of material, encompassing Ukrainian women in the Russian and Austrian empires; the national liberation struggle; the interwar period; international feminism; and Ukrainian women in the Soviet Union. In th... [READ MORE]
- Showcasing archival materials from the early years of John Martin's Black Sparrow Press, this catalogue brings to light the collaborative relationship between writers, editors, designers, and presses. Prominently featured are the works of poets Charles Bukowski, Robert Creeley, John Ashbery, and others. The exhibit, which took place at the University of Alberta's Bruce Peel Special Collections Library (home of the Black Sparrow Press Archive), was curated by twelve University... [READ MORE]
HardbackCAD34.95GBP19.50USD34.95Out of print
PaperbackCAD24.95GBP13.99USD24.95Out of printCAD24.95GBP16.79USD24.95This completely revised edition includes up-to-date information on distribution, new species and biology of the 59 species of fish found in Alberta. Information on identification, distribution, biology, taxonomic history, and, where appropriate, angling is included. Fishes of Alberta will be useful to anyone interested in Alberta's fishes, from anglers to scientists, as well as students of biology.
Electronic book textCAD39.99GBP39.99USD39.99CAD39.99GBP39.99USD39.99Flora Annie Steel (18471929) was a contemporary of Rudyard Kipling and rivaled his popularity as a writer during her lifetime, but her legacy faded due to gender-biased politics. She spent 22 years in India, mainly in the Punjab. This collection is the first to focus entirely on this unconventional memsahib and her contribution to turn-of-the-century Anglo-Indian literature. The eight essays draw attention to Steels multifaceted workranging ... [READ MORE]
HardbackCAD65.00GBP35.50USD65.00Out of printWritten by the botanists of the Komarov Botanical Institute, St. Petersburg, the Flora of the Russian Arctic series is an essential part of every botanical library. (For information on Volume III, see http://www.schweizerbart.de/pubs/books/floraofthe-095200001-desc.html)
HardbackCAD125.00GBP68.50USD125.00Out of printThis second volume of Flora of the Russian Arctic continues the six-volume English translation of the monumental Russian work Arkticheskaya Flora SSSR. This important reference was written by the botanists of the Komarov Botanical Institute, St. Petersburg. It spans 145 degrees of longitude, from the Barents Sea to the Bering Strait. Flora of the Russian Arctic is an essential part of every botanical library. (For information on Volume III, see http://www.schweizerbart.de/pub... [READ MORE]
HardbackCAD30.00GBP16.50USD30.00Out of print
PaperbackCAD21.00GBP11.50USD21.00Out of printNo description
PaperbackCAD29.99GBP23.50USD29.99September 2018CAD23.99GBP23.99USD23.99October 2018Most people regard lice with disgust, but we are fascinated by fleas, even considering them to be cutethey are the panda bears of the flying zoo.
HardbackCAD60.00GBP42.99USD60.00With over 100 colour photographs, Folk Furniture of Canada's Doukhobors, Hutterites, Mennonites and Ukrainians offers a stunning visual record of the culture and values of these four ethno-cultural groups. Authors John Fleming and Michael Rowan take an interpretive approach to the importance of folk furniture and its intimate ties to people's values and beliefs. Photographer James Chambers beautifully captures both representative and exceptional artifacts, from large furnitur... [READ MORE]
PaperbackCAD22.95GBP12.50USD22.95Out of printFood is an essential, irreplaceable ingredient in human well-being and survival. Food in Perspective presents the basic facts and issues about food in a simple, concise and readable form.
HardbackCAD65.00GBP46.50USD65.00Forging Alberta's Constitutional Framework explores the nature and development of Alberta's constitution by examining a number of celebrated cases and themes that have shaped and altered legal, social, economic, political, and cultural rights and responsibilities within Alberta and Canada. Contributors from across Canada include historians, lawyers, political scientists, and politicians writing on themes that illustrate how Alberta's constitution is the product of decades, ev... [READ MORE]
HardbackCAD12.50GBP6.99USD12.50Out of printErnest Stabler focuses on six individuals or groups whose ideas led to the founding of educational institutions. Included are N.F.S. Grundtvig (Danish folk high schools), Mary Lyon (Mount Holyoke College), Horace Mann (Massachusetts schools), Moses Coady and James Tompkins (St. Francis Xavier University), Kurt Hahn (Salem and Gordonstoun, Outward Bound and Atlantic College), and the team of Harold Wilson, Jennie Lee, Walter Perry, and Peter Venables (Open University).
- In his monograph Framing the Ukrainian Peasantry in Habsburg Galicia, 1846-1914, Andriy Zayarnyuk traces the evolution of modern collective identities among Ukrainian peasants in Austrian-ruled Galicia. His examination of identity-construction processes spans from the introduction of a new social system by Austrian emperors in the late eighteenth century to the establishment of an organized nationally conscious rural public space at the beginning of the twentieth century. Zay... [READ MORE]
- The threat of deteriorating habitats and a loss of biodiversity make this reference work on the freshwater fishes of British Columbia more necessary than ever before. Eighty-one comprehensive species accounts aid accurate identification and consist of an illustration, the scientific and common names of the fish, its distinguishing characteristics, taxonomic comments, geographic distribution, a life-history summary, a habitat-use summary, and conservation comments. The book is... [READ MORE]
- The English translation of Vladimir (Ze'sev) Jabotinsky i ukrains'ske pytannia: vselijuds'skist's u shatakh natsionalizmu. The journalist and historian Israel Kleiner invites the reader to consider an old problemthe history of Ukrainian-Jewish relationsfrom a fresh perspective. The eminent Zionist leader Vladimir (Ze'sev) Jabotinsky (1880-1940) is well known for his role in Jewish political history, but his writings on the Ukrainian question and his relations wi... [READ MORE]
- Dr. John E. Foster spent many years researching and interpreting the Metis, continually re-examining his own thinking about the fur trade and the West, trying to find new lines of inquiry across disciplinary boundaries, and, playing with ideas that re-imagined the Canadian West. In From Rupert's Land to Canada, in tribute to John's work, his friends and colleagues further explore themes related to "Native History and the Fur Trade," "Metis History," and th... [READ MORE]
Electronic book textCAD31.99GBP31.99USD31.99CAD31.99GBP31.99USD31.99 the proverb says that whoever sees the world from the back of an elephant learns the secrets of the jungle and becomes a seer. I had to be content to become a poet.